The writer of the needull argues that Tesla is not disruptive.
The framework asks 5 questions:
- Does the product target over-served customers (i.e., with better value for money) or create a new market?
- Does the disruptor have incentives to enter higher performance segments while incumbents retreat?
- Does it have a trajectory for fast, across the board, performance improvements?
- Does it create a new value network (e.g., sales channel)?
- Does it disrupt ALL incumbents?
The answers to these are apparently: no, no, yes, yes and no. That leads Bartman to conclude that Tesla’s products are likely sustaining rather than disruptive.